Solaris Volume Manager boot problem - Can't load the root filesystem
Jerry K
2003-05-28 20:37:21 UTC
I have a well patched Solaris 9 system running on an Ultra 10. The IDE
disk has been pulled and replaced with a matched set of sun scsi
controllers, each with (1) drive hanging off of each controller.
Solaris Volume manager is installed and configured in a RAID 1
(mirrored) configuration. This has been working well for some time.
Recently, during a reboot of the system, I was faced with this (see
below). I have booted from an OS cd and was able to fsck and manually
mount the file systems, all data appears in-tack with no damage or data
loss. I also tried to boot from the alternate boot device, with no
success.

I was unable to find any similar issues to this looking through the
archives or at docs.sun.com. Is there any way I can recover or will I
need to re-install the OS?

Thanks,

Jerry K

ok boot
Resetting ...

Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 333MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.11, 256 MB memory installed, Serial #10953585.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:a7:23:71, Host ID: 80a72371.

Rebooting with command: boot
Boot device: /***@1f,0/***@1/***@1/***@6,0:a File and args:
SunOS Release 5.9 Version Generic 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/ip: undefined symbol 'ipp_packet_alloc'
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/ip: undefined symbol 'ipp_packet_set_private'
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/ip: undefined symbol 'ipp_packet_free'
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/ip: undefined symbol 'ipp_action_count'
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/ip: undefined symbol 'ipp_packet_get_data'
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/ip: undefined symbol 'ipp_packet_process'
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/ip: undefined symbol 'ipp_action_lookup'
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/ip: undefined symbol 'ipp_packet_set_data'
WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'ip'
/kernel/strmod/sparcv9/rpcmod: undefined symbol 'mi_timer_free'
/kernel/strmod/sparcv9/rpcmod: undefined symbol 'mi_timer_alloc'
/kernel/strmod/sparcv9/rpcmod: undefined symbol 'mi_timer'
/kernel/strmod/sparcv9/rpcmod: undefined symbol 'mi_timer_valid'
WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'rpcmod'
WARNING: rpcmod: unable to resolve dependency, module 'drv/ip' not found
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/md: undefined symbol 'xdr_rpcb'
/kernel/drv/sparcv9/md: undefined symbol 'rpc_uaddr2port'
WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'md'
WARNING: md: unable to resolve dependency, module 'strmod/rpcmod' not
found
Cannot load drivers for /pseudo/***@0:0,0,blk
Can't load the root filesystem
Type 'go' to resume
ok
Jerry K
2003-05-29 17:27:43 UTC
Thank you to Hichael Morton and Reggie Beavers who replied to my
question.

Hichael suggested

break the mirror and see if either drive will boot the machine.

When I did booted from CD, commands such as metastat and metadb would
not see my state databases on so I could not recover. I probably could
have found/borrowed another machine to put the disk in and pushed this
further, but it was just as easy to re-install the OS as I didn't loose
any of my data.

Reggie suggested

Before reinstalling the OS, I'd boot from 'cdrom -s',
mount the boot disk (say at /a), edit /a/etc/vfstab
and remove any references to SDS then boot using the
regular slices. From there, I'd tweak SDS or remove it
and reinstall, etc. I've done this often under VxVM
which I understand is even more intrusive.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

I did this and the system produced the same output upon rebooting.

+ + + + +

The amazing thing (too me anyway) was I finally just did an upgrade
install and then everything aside from the OS was exactly as I left it,
to include my data and my RAID 1 mirror which is now working perfectly.

+ + + + +

What I received mostly was out of office replies. I can't believe how
bad this has been lately.
I received 14 out of office (vacation) messages. People, please fix
your email and don't send this stuff to the mailing list.

+ + + + +

Thanks,

Jerry K

Original question